top of page
Old Immanel
New Immanuel
2023-04-01

ABOUT US

Immanuel is a member of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LCMS) is a denomination that confesses the historic, orthodox Christian faith, a faith built on "the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone" (Eph. 2:20). 

 

Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church has been a cornerstone of the West-end Davenport community for 98 years. Our mission is to share the love and grace of Jesus Christ with all who enter our doors.

Our Story

2016

279665969_4773683256092598_2270340463587572452_n_edited.jpg

Pastor Bradley Ferch was ordained into the ministry of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod on July 19, 2016, and was called to serve as the pastor of Immanuel Lutheran Church, Davenport, Ia. He currently serves on the Lutheran Family Service Board of Directors, the Circuit Pastor for the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League (LWML) and recently (2021) accepted the position of Circuit Visitor, a pastor who helps to oversee the other pastors within our circuit.

Born in Waterloo, Ia., Pastor Ferch lived in Elk Run Heights until moving to Readlyn, Ia. After graduating from high school, he enlisted into the United States Air Force and served for more than 8 years in various southern states before being honorably discharged. His final duty station was at Luke Air Force Base, Glendale, Ariz. He then served America’s Veterans at the Carl T. Hayden Veterans Administrative Hospital in Phoenix, Ariz., for an additional 13+ years.

In 1999, he married Carole, and they have two daughters, Madison and Lillian. Pastor Ferch attended Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, Ind., where he graduated with a Master of Divinity.
 

2015

During our vacancy year, Immanuel was blessed to have two wonderful shepherds to serve as our pastors. Chaplain (Col.) Peter Mueller, First U.S. Army Rock Island Arsenal, handled our weekly services and Pastor David Anderson, Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church, Colona, Ill., and Eastside Mission, Davenport, Ia. fulfilled our weekday needs. They both served until we were blessed with a call from the seminary and a new chapter began at Immanuel.

2010

12188054_749271535200477_3759085619870141927_o_edited.jpg

In January, Pastor Chris Lockie became the pastor of Immanuel. Pastor Chris shared his time at Immanuel with the Davenport Lutheran Home until he was brought on as our full-time pastor in 2013. Pastor Chris received a call from Prince of Peace in Racine, Wis., which he accepted leaving us in November 2015.

2005

Pastor Shaw accepted a call and Vacancy Pastors Dumer and Anderson split the duties until Pastor Chris Lockie accepted our call in January 2010.

1999

Seminary graduate James R. Shaw was ordained and installed as Immanuel’s pastor on June 20, 1999. 

1998

Pastor Fred Schuester was appointed as our Vacancy Pastor after Pastor Krueger accepted a call to serve as pastor of Zion Lutheran Church, Hiawatha, Ia., in April 1998.

1995

In September 1995, a two-day Preschool was opened with six students and Mrs. Barbara Wichelt served as its first teacher/director. By 1997, it had grown to 12 students, and Mrs. Sally Haugen was the teacher/director with two- and three-day options. Mrs. Kathy Yaudas served as our third teacher/director.

1988

12188099_746582595469371_1699715493409468109_o_edited.jpg

Rev. Daniel L. Krueger was installed as pastor in February. The Pioneer Club program, which ministered to children ages two through the sixth grade, was begun at Immanuel in September 1993.

1981

clarence-pannier-davenport-ia-obituary.jpg

On November 15, 1981, Rev. Clarence Pannier was installed as pastor of Immanuel after the retirement of Pastor Schember. Pastor Pannier served until his retirement in 1987.

1974

The Sanctuary was dedicated on December 8, 1974. The building measures 120' long, 78' wide and 27' high. In addition, a 10-rank pipe organ was dedicated the evening of December 8, 1974. The organ was built by the Watson-Hovind Organ Company of Galesburg, Ill.

1973

Construction began with ground-breaking on July 15, 1973, and the cornerstone was laid November 11, 1973. 

1965

The congregation started saving for the Sanctuary in late 1965. A sum of $160,000 cash was realized. The balance of $185,000 needed to build was loaned by First National Bank of Davenport.

1960

In April of 1960, a new parsonage with two acres was purchased for $21,500. The old parsonage was sold for $11,000.

1957

The Parish Hall was dedicated on June 9, 1957; it measures 48’ x 115”

1952

It became evident that more room was needed for the fast-growing congregation. A committee was formed to find a location suitable for expansion. The present church property at 3834 Rockingham Road was purchased at a cost of $11,700. At that time, it was a 5.7-acre cornfield. After much deliberation, it was decided to first build the Parish Hall, which would serve as a Sanctuary until the Sanctuary could be funded.

Within 8 years the Parish Hall was debt free and six months later the parsonage was also paid off.

1949

Rev. Luther G. Schember was installed as pastor on January 9, 1949 and served until his retirement in 1980

1948

The congregation purchased a two-manual Wicks pipe organ in the Spring of 1948. On October 24, 1948, Pastor Starke accepted a call to Immanuel in Roswell, N. Mex.

1946

The Parish School closed on June 1, 1946, and the children of the congregation who desired parochial education were encouraged to attend Trinity Lutheran School. The members of Immanuel’s congregation paid the tuition of $90 per pupil per year.

1942

In 1942, a six-room parsonage, located at 2718 Rockingham Road, was purchased for $4,000.

1940

Rev. Alvin Starke was installed as pastor on May 19, 1940. Pastor Bostelmann returned to Immanuel on August 18, 1940, as a guest preacher for the dedication of the new brick school, which had been constructed.

1939

The enlarged and redecorated house of worship was dedicated on December 17, 1939 (first church building pictured above, Portrait by Paul Norton). 

1938

A committee was appointed on May 16, 1938, to plan an addition to the church structure to accommodate the growth with which God had blessed the congregation.

1934

Pastor Bostelmann served Immanuel until 1934, when he accepted a call to Immanuel Lutheran Church in Williamsburg, Ia. Rev, Obert Kruger was installed as pastor on September 23, 1934, and served until March 1940, when he accepted a call to become a professor at Concordia College in Winfield, Kan.

1926

On January 11, 1926, a school was opened with the Pastor Bostelmann serving as the teacher until Spring of 1928. On February 28, 1926, at a special meeting of the voting assembly, the decision was made to purchase two lots from the Bawden family located at Elsie and Ada Avenues for $800. On April 11, a building committee was elected. Work began on July 23, and then on August 1, the cornerstone for a new church building was laid. The new church was dedicated on September 19, 1926. The chapel was a frame structure measuring 24’ x 20’ and served both as church and school. The pews, altar, baptismal font, communion ware and number boards were gifts from Trinity LCMS, Davenport, Ia.

1925

Rev. Bostelmann confirmed the following people on July 8, 1925, in the parsonage: Julius H. Doering, John L. Smithiger, Clara J. Smithiger, Ethel K. Smithiger, Mathilda M. Hoehcst, Else E. Chase, Frank Roenfeldt, Ray Roenfeldt and Hilda M. Johannsen. On Sunday, September 15, 1925, the first organization meeting for the congregation was held. On October 25, 1925, the constitution was adopted and signed. On Sunday, November 1, the services were moved from the theater to a house located at 226 Rockingham Blvd., which also served as the parsonage.

1924

The work of canvassing southwest Davenport was begun on November 13, 1924,
by Rev. Albert Bostelmann, who had been assigned to this area by the Mission Board of the Iowa District, Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. The first services of Immanuel were held on December 7, 1924, in a theater called “Praiser Gardens” on Rockingham Road and Rockingham Blvd. There were six children present for Sunday School that first Sunday and five for the German service. There were none present for the English service. The following Sunday, two were present for the English service and from then on, both English and German services were conducted each Sunday. 

bottom of page